Subject: axnet_cs / pcnet_cs: moving PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID for Netgear FA411

From: Cord Walter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:46:57 +0100

Hi,

after noticing that my Netgear FA411 (PCMCIA-NIC) [1] stopped working with
the release of the 2.6.25 kernel (sidux-version), I checked the
respective driver sources and noticed that the pcnet_cs driver bailed
out with "use axnet_cs instead" for the Netgear FA411, but axnet_cs
doesn't claim this ID.

I compiled a kernel with the PCMCIA-ID for the netgear card moved to
axnet_cs from pcnet_cs which worked. I then contacted sidux-kernel
maintainer Stefan Lippers-Hollmann who turned the info into this patch
and integrated it into the kernel:

<http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/fullstory/linux-sidux-2.6/trunk/debian/patches/features/2.6.27.4_PCMCIA_move-PCMCIA-ID-for-Netgear-FA411-from-pcnet_cs-to-axnet_cs.patch>

This works for me and AFAIK there were no reports of any breakage for
other devices on sidux-support.

This looks like a trivial patch, but since I have very limited
experience with kernel modifications  I might be woefully wrong there.
But if there are no side effects of this patch, is it possible to get it
into the official kernel?

I can provide more detailed information on the affected hardware if
necessary.

-cord

[1]
Socket 1 Device 0:      [axnet_cs]              (bus ID: 1.0)
        Configuration:  state: on
        Product Name:   NETGEAR FA411 Fast Ethernet
        Identification: manf_id: 0x0149 card_id: 0x0411
                        function: 6 (network)
                        prod_id(1): "NETGEAR" (0x9aa79dc3)
                        prod_id(2): "FA411" (0x40fad875)
                        prod_id(3): "Fast Ethernet" (0xb4be14e3)
                        prod_id(4): --- (---)
-- 
Cord Walter
email: [email-masked]

Weil es niemanden etwas angeht, dass ich nichts zu verbergen habe:
http://www.gnupg.org/
http://www.truecrypt.org/
...und überhaupt: http://www.FreiheitstattAngst.de

From: Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:53:04 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] PCMCIA: move PCMCIA ID for Netgear FA411 from pcnet_cs to axnet_cs:

Since kernel 2.6.25, commit 61da96be07ec860e260ca4af0199b9d48d000b80 
(pcnet_cs: if AX88190-based card, printk "use axnet_cs instead" message.), 
pcnet_cs bails out with "use axnet_cs instead" for the Netgear FA411, but 
axnet_cs doesn't claim this ID.

Socket 1 Device 0:      [axnet_cs]              (bus ID: 1.0)
        Configuration:  state: on
        Product Name:   NETGEAR FA411 Fast Ethernet
        Identification: manf_id: 0x0149 card_id: 0x0411
                        function: 6 (network)
                        prod_id(1): "NETGEAR" (0x9aa79dc3)
                        prod_id(2): "FA411" (0x40fad875)
                        prod_id(3): "Fast Ethernet" (0xb4be14e3)
                        prod_id(4): --- (---)

Cc: stable <[email-masked]> [2.6.25, 2.6.26, 2.6.27]
Signed-off-by: Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Cord Walter <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/pcmcia/axnet_cs.c |    1 +
 drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c |    1 -
 2 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/drivers/net/pcmcia/axnet_cs.c b/drivers/net/pcmcia/axnet_cs.c
index b37a498..713091e 100644
--- a/drivers/net/pcmcia/axnet_cs.c
+++ b/drivers/net/pcmcia/axnet_cs.c
@@ -779,6 +779,7 @@ static struct pcmcia_device_id axnet_ids[] = {
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("IO DATA", "ETXPCM", 0x547e66dc, 0x233adac2),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("Linksys", "EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100 V3)", 0x0733cc81, 0x232019a8),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("MELCO", "LPC3-TX", 0x481e0094, 0xf91af609),
+	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("NETGEAR", "FA411", 0x9aa79dc3, 0x40fad875),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("PCMCIA", "100BASE", 0x281f1c5d, 0x7c2add04),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("PCMCIA", "FastEtherCard", 0x281f1c5d, 0x7ef26116),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("PCMCIA", "FEP501", 0x281f1c5d, 0x2e272058),
diff --git a/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c b/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c
index e40d630..ce486f0 100644
--- a/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c
+++ b/drivers/net/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.c
@@ -1693,7 +1693,6 @@ static struct pcmcia_device_id pcnet_ids[] = {
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("National Semiconductor", "InfoMover NE4100", 0x36e1191f, 0xa6617ec8),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("NEC", "PC-9801N-J12", 0x18df0ba0, 0xbc912d76),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("NETGEAR", "FA410TX", 0x9aa79dc3, 0x60e5bc0e),
-	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("NETGEAR", "FA411", 0x9aa79dc3, 0x40fad875),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("Network Everywhere", "Fast Ethernet 10/100 PC Card", 0x820a67b6, 0x31ed1a5f),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("NextCom K.K.", "Next Hawk", 0xaedaec74, 0xad050ef1),
 	PCMCIA_DEVICE_PROD_ID12("PCMCIA", "10/100Mbps Ethernet Card", 0x281f1c5d, 0x6e41773b),
-- 
1.5.6.5