Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: Remove a noisy printk

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:32:46 +0100

Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> 
>> I agree that it doesn't belong to the generic networking code.
>> But the way its handled in netfilter is far from perfect as well.
>> Currently multiple modules will spam the ringbuffer repeatedly,
>> but offer no possibility to change anything in the behaviour of
>> how these packets are treated. Unfortunately we can't handle this
>> in the ruleset (which is exactly the reason why we're spamming
>> the ringbuffer), so how about we add a module option controlling
>> how to treat those packets and remove the printk?
> 
> How about this: let the printk be removed from conntrack and the mangle 
> table but put (back) into the filter table with a module option, which 
> controls the behaviour (drop/accept & log/nolog)?

Sounds fine to me. We can't log it in the usual way though
(ipt_LOG/nfnetlink_log) and spamming the ringbuffer should
really be a last resort, so I'd prefer to limit it to print
the message exactly once.