Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make possible speeds known to ethtool

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:12:01 -0500

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 18:03 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
>> Certain Broadcom 10Gb Ethernet solutions (e.g. the 57711E) can have a
>> 10Gb port split into multiple virtual NICs each with an instance of
>> the bnx2x driver.  These virtual NICs can be configured for any speed
>> which is an integer multiple of 100 Mb/s from 100 to 10,000 Mbit/s
>> inclusive.  Since this is "normal" for such systems an "Unknown!" is
>> not indicated.
> [...]
> 
> The vetting of speeds is kind of silly.  Given that speed is established
> as being a number of Mbit/s (hence the need for speed_hi), why not
> remove the warning and the checks for known values and report it as
> such?

I'm ok with that route.  Historically it made sense, but AFAICS the 
driver _must_ verify the speed anyway, so removing the limitation in the 
userspace tool seems reasonable.

The next release of ethtool is coming in about 4 weeks, and we can 
definitely get something like this in there.

	Jeff