Subject: Re: RFC: Network privilege separation.

From: Oliver Hartkopp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 08:05:45 +0100

Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:31:11PM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
>   
>>   * so far as I know, netfilter is only commonly used to filter IP traffic. 
>>   Can
>>     I really use it to limit connections to abstract unix sockets?
>>     
>
> No you can't. But is that really your requirement? Why limiting Unix
> sockets and not e.g. named pipes? Unix sockets do not talk to the network.
>
> I suppose I don't understand your requirements very well.
>   

I think it would be very interesting for PF_CAN sockets also.
CAN has no IP at all and the suggested idea of 'self-limiting' a user 
process to use only the already open sockets could be a way to address 
the use-cases Michael stated in his RFC.

Regards,
Oliver