Subject: Re: [PATCH] w35und: fix usb_control_msg() error handling in wb35_probe()

From: Sandro Bonazzola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:13:22 +0100

Pekka Enberg ha scritto:

>>> Ok, with kernel 2.6.8.1, and your patch it seems to work with channel 1, no
>>> encryption, opensystem authentication.
>> So the driver doesn't work in 2.6.29-rc1 but does in 2.6.28.1? I
>> wonder what changed in the networking/wireless stack that broke the
>> winbond driver.... I'm cc'ing netdev even though this is a driver in
>> staging.

Well, I don't know if this can be somehow related to a bug in the driver, but on
my system, after I've unplugged the USB trasnsitter, ksoftirqd/0 begin to use
89% of my CPU time (top). I suspect that there are some issue that should be
fixed somewhere.

> Actually, it's probably me who broke the driver. I think Greg merged
> most of my patches after 2.6.28 came out. Sandro, if you have some
> time, please consider doing git bisect to find out which changeset
> causes the problem.

Well, actually my 2.6.29 copy seems to be broken:
arch/x86/kernel/amd_iommu.o: In function `debugfs_create_size_t':
amd_iommu.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `debugfs_create_size_t'
arch/x86/kernel/kdebugfs.o:kdebugfs.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
make[1]: *** [arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o] Error 1
make: *** [arch/x86/kernel] Error 2

# git pull
Already up-to-date.

# git status
# On branch master
# Changed but not updated:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
#       modified:   drivers/staging/winbond/wbusb.c
#
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

I don't know too much how to use git to do what you're asking. I've some years
of experience with svn and cvs but git is quite a new tool for me.
I'll wait a git kernel that compile while I'll try to find out how to do what
you're asking.
I have not so much free time to spend in a checkout / build / test if the test
phase need a kernel reinstall / system reboot. If it's only the driver module I
think I can try to test it for each changeset in a couple of weeks /starting
from the day I know how to bisect :-) ).

- --
Sandro