Subject: Re: accelerated vlan gives pcap tagged packets untagged

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:39:12 +0100

Pierre Ossman wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:23:01 +0100
> Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Current kernel version (I think starting with 2.6.28) relay the
>> VLAN tag information to userspace through packet sockets. The
>> current libpcap release from tcpdump.org (or the one Dave keeps
>> in a git tree on kernel.org) supports reconstructing the tags.
>>
> 
> Ah. This is a Fedora 10 machine so it's running a 2.6.27 kernel. I'll
> see if I can do a test with an updated kernel.
> 
> Do you know if dhcpd also uses libpcap so that it will stop seeing
> packets it shouldn't?

I believe it depends on compilation options (but usually does on
modern distributions).