Subject: via-velocity: printk of dev->name before name has been allocated

From: Jan Ceuleers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:56:11 +0100

I have the following in dmesg:

[   21.212838] VIA Networking Velocity Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 
Driver Ver. 1.14
[   21.212847] Copyright (c) 2002, 2003 VIA Networking Technologies, Inc.
[   21.212852] Copyright (c) 2004 Red Hat Inc.
[   21.212885] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0e.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, 
low) -> IRQ 17
[   21.212937] eth%d: set value of parameter Interrupt service works to 64
[   21.213684] eth0: VIA Networking Velocity Family Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
[   21.213691] eth0: Ethernet Address: 00:40:63:F4:AF:DE

The notification that the module parameter has been taken into account 
is output before the device name has been allocated. This is with the 
following kernel version:

Linux fe2 2.6.22-16-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:07:52 GMT 2009 i686 
GNU/Linux

which is quite "old", but when I looked at current git net-2.6 I think 
that this problem is still there.

I think that the cause is that in velocity_found1(), 
velocity_get_pci_info() is called (which outputs the "set value of 
parameter" message) before register_netdev() is (which I think allocates 
the device name).

I'm afraid I'm incapable of fixing this cosmetic problem myself; perhaps 
one of you kind folk can.

Thanks, Jan