Subject: Re: Vlan interface nuisance

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:56:17 -0800

Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote, On 03/02/2009 06:20 PM:
> 
>> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:47:31PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>>> Why is interface created through netlink named 'vlan0' and
>>> interface created through old vconfig called 'ethX.YY'.
>>> Seems like the interface should be consistent.
>> That does seem silly.
>>
>> ethX.YYYY told you which physical interface and which vlan number it was.
>>
>> vlan0 tells you nothing useful.
>  
> 
> Even if you have only one ethX?

Yes...the old way would tell you the vlan-id regardless of how
many NICs you have, which is useful information for anyone
actually trying to configure two boxes to talk to each other,
or (god forbid), debug someone else's config.

It's true you can specify the vlan-name on creation using 'ip',
which is what I do, so I'm not going to argue Stephen's change
either way..but I do like device names that give more info...

Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com