Subject: Re: [PATCH] dnet: Dave DNET ethernet controller driver

From: Christer Weinigel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:43:05 +0100

Jamie Lokier wrote:
> In other words, glibc doesn't work on some embedded targets even if
> you have plenty of room: they don't support dynamic libs.

It might be possible to build glibc to always use hosts+DNS for name 
lookup, but since I almost always use uclibc on embedded systems I 
haven't really tried to do it.  If I use glibc, it's on a NFS root and 
those systems are large enough anyway.

>> uclibc also seems to have issues with networking and statically linked 
>> binaries, but I just haven't had time to figure out why yet.
> 
> I've never had an issue with uclibc and networking.

I'm not sure what is happening, but a statically linked uclibc binary 
that does TCP networking will work happily with one userspace but not 
another.  It would seem to me that a statically linked binary should 
only depend on the kernel ABI and not on anything userspace (except the 
text files in /etc like resolv.conf), but that does not seem to match 
reality.  If I use Unix sockets instead it works fine, so belive it is 
something related to TCP.  But well, this is all very fuzzy because I 
haven't had time to look more closely at it yet.

   /Christer