Subject: Re: e100 firmware in 2.6.29-rc7?

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:05:41 -0700

Ben Hutchings wrote:

>> The config & dmesg is attached.  Some of the options are for patches we've
>> added, and we even have a small patch in the e100 (but have had it there
>> for years, so probably un-related to this).  Still, I will not complain
>> if you decide to ignore the report.
> [...]
> 
> Your config has CONFIG_E100=m, but CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL only
> applies to firmware used by non-modular drivers.  The assumption is that
> once userland is capable of loading modules it is also capable of
> loading firmware.

Well, that's an annoyance.  Would it be that hard to allow modular drivers
to compile-in their FW as well?  It would be a nice option for
those of us trying to build portable pre-compiled kernels for various
distributions and distribution versions.

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com