Subject: [PATCH] powerpc 4xx EMAC driver: device name reported on timeout is not correct

From: Mikhail Zolotaryov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:28:02 +0200

Hi,

IBM EMAC driver performs device reset (drivers/net/ibm_newemac/core.c:
emac_probe() -> emac_init_phy() -> emac_reset()) before registering
appropriate net_device (emac_probe() -> register_netdev()), so
net_device name contains raw format string during EMAC reset ("eth%d").

If the case of reset timeout, emac_report_timeout_error() function is
called to report an error. The problem is this function uses net_device
name to report device related, which is not correct, as a result in the
kernel log buffer we see:

eth%d: reset timeout

The solution is to print device_node full_name instead. After applying
the patch proposed, error string is like the following:

/plb/opb/ethernet@ef600e00: reset timeout

Signed-off-by: Mikhail Zolotaryov <[email-masked]>
Acked-by: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]>

--- linux-2.6/drivers/net/ibm_newemac/core.c.orig	2009-03-10 20:24:12.000000000 +0200
+++ linux-2.6/drivers/net/ibm_newemac/core.c		2009-03-10 20:29:12.000000000 +0200
@@ -134,7 +134,7 @@
 				  EMAC_FTR_440EP_PHY_CLK_FIX))
 		DBG(dev, "%s" NL, error);
 	else if (net_ratelimit())
-		printk(KERN_ERR "%s: %s\n", dev->ndev->name, error);
+		printk(KERN_ERR "%s: %s\n", dev->ofdev->node->full_name, error);
 }
 
 /* EMAC PHY clock workaround: