Subject: Re: htb parallelism on multi-core platforms

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 00:41:38 +0200

Radu Rendec wrote, On 04/17/2009 12:40 PM:

> Hi,

Hi Radu,

> 
> I'm using htb on a dedicated shaping machine. Under heavy traffic (high
> packet rate) all htb work is done on a single cpu - only one ksoftirqd
> is consuming cpu power.
> 
> I have limited network stack knowledge, but I guess all htb work for a
> particular interface is done on the same softirq context. Of course this
> does not scale with multiple cpus, since only one of them would be used.
> 
> Is there any (simple) approach to distribute htb work (for one
> interface) on multiple cpus?

I don't know about anything (simple) for this, but I wonder if you
tried already any htb tweaking like htb_hysteresis module param or
burst/cburst class parameters to limit some maybe useless resolution/
overhead?

Regards,
Jarek P.