Subject: Re: IMQ bug: kernel reboot immediately

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:28:55 +0200

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Thursday 2009-04-23 12:20, Patrick McHardy wrote:
> 
>>>> Is IMQ still maintained? I am using IMQ to shape ingress traffic.
>>>> But the application is a streaming server (VLC). However, the kernel
>>>> reboots immediately as quick as can hardly been seen what is
>>>> wrong with it.
>>>>
>>>> Any help with this kinda problem?
>>> IMQ isn't a part of kernel/netfilter, so you should try at its own
>>> site/mailing list.
>> I'd rather suggest to get rid of it and use ifb, AFAIK there hasn't
>> been a single version in all those years that didn't cause this kind
>> of problems.
> 
> I'd rather point out that ifb does not seem to be able to do all of what 
> IMQ can, up to the point where it is believed in the public that ifb is 
> practically useless.

I'm aware of those claims, but not of the details. If this is true,
people should raise those issues and help resolve them. I wouldn't
hold my breath waiting for IMQ to get fixed.