Subject: Re: 2.6.29.1: unregister_netdevice problem

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:49:58 +0200

Alexander V. Lukyanov wrote, On 04/28/2009 02:57 PM:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:41:03AM +0400, Alexander V. Lukyanov wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 09:57:35AM +0400, Alexander V. Lukyanov wrote:
>>> unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0.2 to become free. Usage count = 4
>>>
>>> eth0.2 is a vlan interface, eth0 is 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek
>>> Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
>>> controller (rev 01)
>> Ok, now I did manually 'vconfig rem eth0.2' and I get these repeated messages.
>> How do I find out what exactly holds the interface being used?
> 
> BTW, it looks like all vlan interfaces (I have many of them) have similar
> problem, when it happens - every few days:
> 
> unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0.907 to become free. Usage count = 20
> 
> and when I run a `vconfig rem', I cannot run another one. It s(t)ucks.
> 

Do you mean if you wait a bit longer (until the first one is really removed)
before running another one, it doesn't s(t)uck? Is there a change e.g. wrt.
2.6.28?

Jarek P.