Subject: Re: user space virtio-net exits with "truncating packet" error

From: Avi Kivity <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 09:59:58 +0300

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Rusty Russell wrote:
>> Bit 5 = VIRTIO_NET_F_MAC (the host set the mac address)
>> Bit 24 = VIRTIO_F_NOTIFY_ON_EMPTY
>> You don't have any GSO or checksum offload here
> Just to make sure I'm in the correct direction - I need to cause these 
> offloads to be advertised by the "lower" part of virtio (e.g the qemu 
> virtio code) to  the "upper" part (the quest kernel), correct? 

Yes.  You can do that by running a recent kernel on the host, and 
compiling qemu with the headers from that kernel (you can generate them 
with make headers-install).

> I understand that one of them is called front-end and the other 
> back-end, but my intuitions don't go up to saying who's what...
>

My preferred terms are driver (in the guest) and device (in the host), 
to mimic real hardware.

-- 
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to panic.