Subject: Re: relationship between ingress policer and netfilter hooks?

From: "Chris Friesen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 12:24:21 -0600

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Chris Friesen wrote:
> 
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Can someone tell me where the hook is for incoming packets to be sent
>>through the ingress policer?
>>
>>In particular, I'm trying to find out how the ingress traffic shaping
>>hook relates to the various netfilter hooks so that I can set them up to
>>behave nicely together.

> They're not related at all. The ingress qdisc is hooked at
> net/dev/core.c:handle_ing().

Thanks.  Based on that the shaping is done before any of the netfilter
hooks, which is what I was trying to figure out.

On a related note...the deliver_skb() call right before the call to
handle_ing()--is that to allow packet sockets to receive everything that
arrives on the wire even if some of it may be dropped later?

Chris