Subject: Re: Kernel oops on setting sky2 interfaces down

From: Rene Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:38:19 +0200

Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
>> To allow easier debugging, I have now put our whole kernel tree up in a
>> public (read-only) git repository at
>> https://www.gibraltar.at/git/linux-2.6-gibraltar.git. The branch for
>> this kernel is origin/gibraltar-3.0, although the above dump was
>> produced by a version slightly "older" then HEAD, which did not yet have
>> the latest PaX patch applied (no PaX and no lzma-squashfs in this kernel).

> I have now updated the branch with both patches (the one from Stephen
> and the other one Mike). Still trying if it changes anything with
> 2.6.30.4 (they didn't help with 2.6.28.10, though...).

Result with both patches: there is no immediate crash when setting all
sky2 interfaces down, but I get the following messages repeated roughly
every second:

2009-08-04T09:35:31.030812+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
592.000071] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error
2009-08-04T09:35:32.030908+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
593.000058] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error
2009-08-04T09:35:33.030839+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
594.000082] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error
2009-08-04T09:35:34.030864+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
595.000118] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error
2009-08-04T09:35:35.030975+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
596.000259] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error
2009-08-04T09:35:36.030974+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
597.000198] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error
2009-08-04T09:35:37.030980+02:00 gibraltar3-esys-master kernel: [
598.000203] sky2 0000:01:00.0: device status error

and the network interface fails to work (no ping, nothing with tcpdump,
etc.).

Does anybody have an idea on what might be wrong in sky2_down?

best regards,
Rene