Subject: Re: Kernel oops on setting sky2 interfaces down

From: Rene Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 14:14:24 +0200

Mike McCormack wrote:
>> Again, any hints would be greatly appreciated (and sorry for being
>> persistent about this annoying little bug...).
>
> Thanks for being persistent in testing :-)  Looks like you've got a 
> fairly unusual piece of hardware, as Stephen indicated.
Indeed, although I didn't think it _that_ unusual. It's just a 19" rack
appliance with 2 expansion slots for 4x LAN ports each. And those are
based around sky2.

But we have had problems before with kernel 2.4.34/.36 as well with that
hardware. They just weren't as easily reproducible but manifested
themselves in occasional malfunctions of the network devices that could
be solved by an ifdown/ifup cycle.
We still have one spare box and will try that one in case the hardware
is really flaky (which would be strange, given how reproducible it is
right now).

> Would you mind adding the phy_lock fix on top of the latest net-2.6
> git version of sky2 and testing that?
Tried it, doesn't fix the issue.

What would be the simplest change to stop disabling phy when the last
device goes down?

best regards,
Rene