Subject: Re: Kernel oops on setting sky2 interfaces down

From: Rene Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:28:58 +0200

Mike McCormack wrote:
> Rene Mayrhofer wrote:
> 
>> What would be the simplest change to stop disabling phy when the last
>> device goes down?
> 
> Commenting out the following line should stop all the phys from powering off:
> 
> sky2_phy_power_down(hw, port);
> 
> If you have a chance, please test "sky2: Add a mutex around ethtools operations" also.
> it probably won't fix the problem you're seeing, but you never know...

It seems that hardware is faulty, although in a very "interesting" way.
We tried changing the "slot" modules with 4 NICs each, which did not
change matters. However, another similar hardware appliance works. I am
thus not sure which component is at fault here, as (parts of) the NICs
were changed. Maybe the interrupt controller is weird on the "faulty"
box? ACPI issues? If anybody wants to track this any further, I am still
willing to test patches.

best regards,
Rene