Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] vhost_net: a kernel-level virtio server

From: Anthony Liguori <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:22:38 -0500

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>
>> We discussed this before, and I still think this could be directly derived
>> from struct virtqueue, in the same way that vring_virtqueue is derived from
>> struct virtqueue.
>>     
>
> I prefer keeping it simple. Much of abstraction in virtio is due to the
> fact that it needs to work on top of different hardware emulations:
> lguest,kvm, possibly others in the future.  vhost is always working on
> real hardware, using eventfd as the interface, so it does not need that.
>   

Actually, vhost may not always be limited to real hardware.

We may on day use vhost as the basis of a driver domain.  There's quite 
a lot of interest in this for networking.

At any rate, I'd like to see performance results before we consider 
trying to reuse virtio code.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori