Subject: Re: AlacrityVM numbers updated for 31-rc4

From: Anthony Liguori <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 18:05:31 -0500

Gregory Haskins wrote:
> I re-ran the numbers on 10GE against the actual alacrityvm v0.1 release
> available in git on kernel.org.
>
> I tried to include the newly announced "vhost" driver (Michael Tsirkin)
> for virtio acceleration, but ran into issues getting the patches to apply.
>
> For now, this includes native, virtio-u (virtio-userspace), and venet
> all running on 31-rc4.  If I can resolve the issue with Michaels
> patches, I will add "virtio-k" (virtio-kernel) to the mix as well.  For
> now, here are the results for 1500mtu:
>
> native:   7388Mb/s,   29.8us rtt (33505 tps udp-rr)
> venet:    3654Mb/s,   56.8us rtt (17600 tps udp-rr)
> virtio-u: 1955Mb/s, 4016.0us rtt (  249 tps udp-rr)
>   

Just FYI, the numbers quoted are wrong for virtio-u.  Greg's machine 
didn't have high res timers enabled in the kernel.  He'll post newer 
numbers later but they're much better than these (venet is still ahead 
though).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori