Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 3/6] vbus: add a "vbus-proxy" bus model for vbus_driver objects

From: Gregory Haskins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:16:40 -0400

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 08/15/2009 01:32 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>>> This will generally be used for hypervisors to publish any host-side
>>> virtual devices up to a guest.  The guest will have the opportunity
>>> to consume any devices present on the vbus-proxy as if they were
>>> platform devices, similar to existing buses like PCI.
>>>
>>>      
>> Is there a consensus on this with the KVM folks? (i've added the KVM
>> list to the Cc:)
>>    
> 
> My opinion is that this is a duplication of effort and we'd be better
> off if everyone contributed to enhancing virtio, which already has
> widely deployed guest drivers and non-Linux guest support.
> 
> It may have merit if it is proven that it is technically superior to
> virtio (and I don't mean some benchmark in some point in time; I mean
> design wise).  So far I haven't seen any indications that it is.
> 

The design is very different, so hopefully I can start to convince you
why it might be interesting.

Kind Regards,
-Greg