Subject: Re: L2 switching in igb

From: Or Gerlitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:02:52 +0300

Alexander Duyck wrote:
> You are correct, the vSwitch can basically do VEPA by disabling local 
> loopback enable bit in the DTXSWC register.  This would force all 
> traffic from the PF/VFs out the lan physical port and from the lan 
> physical port to the appropriate PF/VFs without doing any switching in 
> between PF/VFs.
To have VEPA support another bit has to be programmed... its the one 
that doesn't let the PF to forward a packet to a VF whose source mac 
matches the one in the packet (e.g multicast sender).

> add an rtnl_link_ops interface to handle vSwitch configuration that 
> could then be applied to the igb netdevs that support VEPA/vSwitch 
> technologies.  A subset of that interface could then be dedicated to 
> VF configuration to handle things such as spawning VFs, setting the 
> default mac addresses, security controls, etc.
Yes, lets do that. I'd like to suggest that a "VF programmable from user 
space" context  will contain a <mac, vlan-id, priority-bits, rate> 
tuple, such that in the absence of vlan tag, the VF driver will "sign" 
the packet (skb) with vlan-id and priority-bits assigned by the admin 
and the PF NIC will mandate that the VF originated traffic will not 
exceed the rate.

Or.

Or.