Subject: Re: igb bandwidth allocation configuration

From: Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:53:48 -0700

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Alexander Duyck wrote:
>> The interface for all of this would make sense as part of a virtual 
>> ethernet switch control which is the way I am currently leaning on all 
>> this.
> Yes, you can say that out of the per VF <mac, vlan-id, priority, rate> 
> tuple I mentioned, except for the mac, the other parameters actually 
> belong to the egress flow of the virtual switch port this VF is 
> connected to. So the vswitch actually signs the packet with vlan+pbits 
> and enforces the rate. Now vswitch can be software based, or hardware 
> NIC based.

Even something such as MAC address would make sense for a virtual 
ethernet switch configuration in that you could restrict unicast ingress 
traffic for the VF to a specific address much like you would do on a 
regular L2 switch.

> Now, I assume there may be NICs which will let you configure the 
> <vlan-id, priority, rate> as part of the their virtual switch config, 
> but others, e.g
> the 82576 as an example, and following our discussion, will let you do 
> that for the VF, in the VF driver which as you said may run the guest OS 
> where we can't control it...

I think you may be a bit confused.  The configuration for the VFs would 
be part of the PF via the virtual ethernet switch control.  As a result 
it is only the PF which needs to be running on the host.

Thanks,

Alex