Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 1/4] TCPCT part 1: initial SYN exchange with SYNACK data

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:45:55 -0400

David Miller wrote:
> This callback is generic and isn't designed to take opaque
> data.  All the other arguments to this callback are strongly
> typed, and this is on purpose.
> 
> You'll need to find another way to implement this.
> 
This was the most controversial change, so I made it the first separate
patch to get strong review.

#1 You recently shot down adding a GFP_ATOMIC kref (Adam's original code),
after having approved it a year ago.

#2 The entire struct could be added to all struct request_sock, but you
already rejected adding fewer bytes to the much larger tcp_sock.  And that
isn't the best strategy, as request_sock otherwise would not have a cookie
and is intended to be small.

#3 It's not possible to wrap and extend request_sock, as that is already
done by IPv6 and others, causing a conflict.  That was suggested by
another maintainer, and I drafted some code last week, but wasn't able to
figure out a non-conflicting code path.

#4 Passing a pointer parameter is the only option left that I've discovered.
Now, you've rejected that as well....

So, lead me to "another way"?