Subject: Re: [PATCH] can: fix WARN_ON dump in net/core/rtnetlink.c:rtmsg_ifinfo()

From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:30:51 +0100

David Miller wrote:
> From: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 10:53:13 +0100
> 
>> On older kernels, e.g. 2.6.27, a WARN_ON dump in rtmsg_ifinfo()
>> is thrown when the CAN device is registered due to insufficient
>> skb space, as reported by various users. This patch adds the
>> rtnl_link_ops "get_size" to fix the problem. I think this patch
>> is required for more recent kernels as well, even if no WARN_ON
>> dumps are triggered. Maybe we also need "get_xstats_size" for
>> the CAN xstats.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Wolfgang Grandegger <[email-masked]>
> 
> Applied to net-2.6, thanks Wolfgang.

Thanks, the commit message included some questions. What is the rule
using the rtnl_link_ops "get_size" or "get_xstats_size". Are these
mandatory if the corresponding fill functions are used?

Wolfgang.