Subject: Re: Problem with VLANs and via-velocity driver

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:40:39 +0100

Kevin Shanahan wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I've had some problems with getting a fairly simple (I thought) VLAN
> configuration working with the on board Via NICs on my Via M700
> board. Looks like as soon as a tagged VLAN interface is added, the
> underlying "raw" (untagged) interface stops responding.
> 
> ...
> 
> A bit of searching found a few references to similar problems going
> back a few years (2005, 2007). Sounded like there were some driver
> issues, but it wasn't clear from the messages I found whether they
> were believed to be fixed or not. I tried the same test using a
> differnt NIC with the tg3 driver and there were no problems, so it
> looks to me like it's still a via-velocity issue. Unfortunately I
> don't have room to add NICs to this machine and need to use the on
> board Via hardware.

There's some special-casing for VID 0 in velocity_init_cam_filter().
Does "ip link add link eth0 type vlan id 0" make any difference?
If not, does "ip link set eth0 promisc on"?