Subject: Re: [PATCH 17/11]Optimize the upload speed for PPP connection.

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:20:09 -0500

David Miller wrote:
> Your patch is broken, please don't wate my time like this.
> 
> + git apply --check --whitespace=error-all diff
> error: patch failed: drivers/net/ppp_async.c:36
> error: drivers/net/ppp_async.c: patch does not apply
> 
What David may have meant, had he followed Documentation/ManagementStyle
or had any project management skills what-so-ever, is that you need to
follow Documentation/SubmittingPatches more carefully.

Look at 15) The canonical patch format

[PATCH 17/11] makes no sense, you don't have 11 patches, and the 17th
patch of 11 can never exist.

Need a better "subsystem: summary phrase", perhaps
   "net: PPP buffer too small for higher speed connections"

A marker line containing simply "---".

And your trailer boilerplate badly breaks the system, because it's
missing the SMTP email standard "--" line in front of it.

You'll get nicer formatting with 'git format-patch -o ~ HEAD~1' after you
do a 'git commit -a' on your git tree.

It takes some time, even for a simple 1 line fix like this....

Hope that helps.