Subject: Re: [BUG] netxen: Stops working between 2.6.30 and 2.6.31-rc1

From: Dhananjay Phadke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:30:28 -0800

> Weird. MSI's definitely weren't disabled.  Looking a little farther at
> your quoted setup MSI work on your board.  This is definitely
> something specific to the driver.  Except for a few initialization
> races that are an issue for bonding I am running 2.6.31 just fine.

Jens,

Even if /proc/interrupt says PCI-MSI in both cases, single interrupt 
case is msi vs. 4 vector case is msi-x. To confirm that msi-x doesn't 
work with your card/machine, you can still stay on 2.6.31 and set 
use_msi_x=0 in netxen_nic_main.c.

I had tried to make a available a module param to disable msi/msi-x for 
platforms where msi-x doesn't work cleanly, but it was declined by David 
Miller, et al.

Anyway, please note a few things -

Jens' has older generation (NX2031) of nic asic, so 4.0.xxx FW doesn't 
apply:

NetXen XGb XFP Board S/N IF72MK0200  Chip rev 0x25

Eric has newer generation (NX3031) of nic asic:

NetXen Dual XGb SFP+ LP Board S/N SF86BK0008  Chip rev 0x41

Anyhow, what I learned here is Jens obtained firmware from IBM Japan.
Could you please describe the source of your device, you should involve
respective OEM (HP/IBM) for getting right revision of the firmware.

If it was purchased via direct channel, call QLogic support about 
3.4.339 firmware. I can't imagine IBM Japan hosting firmware not 
released for IBM branded NIC boards.

Thanks,
Dhananjay