Subject: Re: [Bugme-new] [Bug 14794] New: IP address assigned by DHCP is dropped after ~40 seconds

From: Németh Márton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 17:49:01 +0100

Németh Márton worte:
> I use KDE, and the KNetworkManager icon is visible on the task bar. When
> I unplug the network cable the "disconnected" icon appears. After I plug the
> network cable again, a rotating wheel appears. Here comes the difference: *when*
> the rotating wheel changes to "connected" state. One case, when the IP address
> is kept the "connected" icon appears right after the IP address assigned by
> DHCP appears in the ifconfig output. In the wrong case this rotating wheel is
> still there for about 60 seconds while the the assigned IP address is dropped
> and an IP address like 169.254.123.251 is assigned.

I would like to add that with 2.6.32 the IP address is dropped even if I exit
the KNetworkManager before unplugging the network cable.

I can reproduce the problem without touching the network cable. If I execute
(I am running Debian 5.0, kernel 2.6.32):

# /etc/init.d/network-manager stop

then the network goes down. After this I execute:

# /etc/init.d/network-manager start

then the network comes up, the IP address assigned by DHCP appears for about a
minute then the this IP address is dropped and the address starting with
169.254 is assigned.

Regards,

	Márton Németh