Subject: Re: [Alacrityvm-devel] [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33

From: Gregory Haskins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:18:37 -0500

On 12/27/09 4:15 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 12/23/2009 11:21 PM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
>> That said, you are still incorrect.  With what I proposed, the model
>> will run as an in-kernel vbus device, and no longer run in userspace.
>> It would therefore improve virtio-net as I stated, much in the same
>> way vhost-net or venet-tap do today.
>>    
> 
> That can't work.  virtio-net has its own ABI on top of virtio, for
> example it prepends a header for TSO information.  Maybe if you disable
> all features it becomes compatible with venet, but that cripples it.
> 

You are confused.  The backend would be virtio-net specific, and would
therefore understand the virtio-net ABI.  It would support any feature
of virtio-net as long as it was implemented and negotiated by both sides
of the link.

-Greg