Subject: Re: [Alacrityvm-devel] [GIT PULL] AlacrityVM guest drivers for 2.6.33

From: Avi Kivity <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 15:27:46 +0200

On 12/27/2009 03:18 PM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
> On 12/27/09 4:15 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>    
>> On 12/23/2009 11:21 PM, Gregory Haskins wrote:
>>      
>>> That said, you are still incorrect.  With what I proposed, the model
>>> will run as an in-kernel vbus device, and no longer run in userspace.
>>> It would therefore improve virtio-net as I stated, much in the same
>>> way vhost-net or venet-tap do today.
>>>
>>>        
>> That can't work.  virtio-net has its own ABI on top of virtio, for
>> example it prepends a header for TSO information.  Maybe if you disable
>> all features it becomes compatible with venet, but that cripples it.
>>
>>      
> You are confused.  The backend would be virtio-net specific, and would
> therefore understand the virtio-net ABI.  It would support any feature
> of virtio-net as long as it was implemented and negotiated by both sides
> of the link.
>    

Then we're back to square one.  A nice demonstration of vbus 
flexibility, but no help for virtio.

-- 
error compiling committee.c: too many arguments to function