Subject: Re: [PATCH 31/31] CAPI: Officially claim char major 191

From: Jan Kiszka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:13:35 +0100

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> 
>>> I found no trace of this mysterious "pcl181" device, neither in-tree nor
>>> out there in the wild. At the same time, the in-tree CAPI middleware is
>>> using major 191 for many years now and obviously without any conflict.
>>> Let's officially claim this major number.
>> This is not the way it should have been done but whoever needs spanking
>> got away with it years ago. Given that this seems the best way forward.
>>
>> With LANANA hat on
> 
> actually in the days of udev, the capifs is not really needed anymore.
> The right choice would be to remove it. I haven't been enabling it since
> years.

First of all, the capifs story is orthogonal to the major claim.

But basically you are right, capifs is likely not needed anymore. The
only user visible change - and that was holding me back to suggest its
removal - is the time when the NCCI minor ttys show up under /dev/capi/
(or wherever you direct them to). If I didn't miss something about udev,
it will make all possible minors pop up once the major is registered.
However, I'm not sure if there is some userland actually relying on this.

Jan