Subject: Re: [RFC 0/5] bridge - introduce via_phys_dev feature

From: Pavel Emelyanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:39:59 +0300

Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 08:18:43AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>> Looking back at this. What if the API was simpler:

Thanks for the reply, Stephen!

>> Why not:
>>   1. Setup bridge (and any other interfaces except eth0); includes bringing br0 up
>>   2. Add eth0 to bridge with new flag to inherit
>>        a. brctl addif br0 eth0 inherit
>>
>> Inherit functionality would need to move address (Ether, IP, IPv6)
>> and routes from eth0 to br0.
>> I will see about doing it as much as possible in userspace.
>>

Solution is good, but we'll have to reconfigure netfilter matches
that check for device name/ifindex and restore all this back when
deleting eth0 from br0.

Maybe it's better to implement it on the kernel side by sending a 
netdev notification and letting the subsystem reconfigure themselves?

And what can we do with existing TCP connections bound to a device?

> 	-- Cyrill