Subject: Re: [PATCH] bnx2x: add support for receive hashing

From: Brian Bloniarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:27:17 -0400

Rick Jones wrote:
> By and large, customers do not do anything "substantial" with UDP.  NFS
> went to TCP mounts 99 times out of 10 many years ago, leaving DNS as
> about the only thing left*. So, customers will not be chomping at the
> bit for improved UDP scalability/performance.  They would though, be
> jumping up and down demanding iSCSI performance and by implication all
> that comes along for the ride.

I work for a finance firm, and I've met a lot of guys who are
chomping at the bit for improved UDP performance. It's a
huge huge deal in our field. I'm nothing more than one customer
but I have a pretty negative reaction to this sentiment.

I'm also one of the people who occasionally bugs Eric Dumazet
about it :)

One saving grace for the financial multicast case: I think it's
pretty typical for the dest IP to be different for each flow
(different multicast groups). I confirmed on my multi-queue
bnx2 NIC (BCM5709) that those are spread out across the queues,
presumably the hash is similar.