Subject: Re: [PATCH] net sched: cleanup and rate limit warning

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 15:12:52 +0200

jamal wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 13:20 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> 
>> The tool isn't generating an action (just tc filter ... police ..)
>> so it is getting the unfortunate default of reclassify.
> 
> Ah ok. 
> My advice: you should never ever depend on defaults when you
> can be explicit and say "drop". Or have the users in your tool be able
> to specify what action to take if rate is exceeded etc (actually i think
> juniper does that) 
> I think "drop" would be the sane default for over-limit - my memory is
> hazy because i assumed that was the default but there may have been some
> reservations on that default. Patrick?

I don't remeber ever discussing that, the choice of "reclassify" as
default precedes TC actions and is already present in the oldest
iproute2 version I could find (2.2.4-ss000225).