Subject: Re: loosing IPMI-card by loading netconsole

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:27:23 +0200

Hello, John.

As Henning seems offline, I'll try to fill in.

On 05/14/2010 04:51 PM, Ronciak, John wrote:
> Sorry to hear about the problem you are having Henning.  What do you
> mean when you say "it disappears"?

It stops responding to IPMI requests.

> Can both eth0 and eth1 ping (or be pinged)?  Do all the networking
> devices still show up in the system when you do an 'lspci'?

Yeah, everything other than IPMI works just fine.

> What happens if you down and then up the interface you are having
> problems with?  Does 'rmmod' do the same thing as your removal
> method?

Haven't tried these but well I think rmmoding should achieve about the
same thing.

> Is there anything in the system logs saying anything about the
> interfaces?

Nope.

> We have not had reports of this so this is a bit unusual.  Please let us know.
> 
> Does this happen on other systems as well or just one particular system?

Yeah, it happens on at least several hundred machines, so not an
isolated hardware issue at all.

To sum up.

On 2.6.27.39, netconsole + IPMI works fine.  On 2.6.32.7, as soon as
netconsole is loaded, IPMI stops working.  Unloading netconsole
doesn't revive IPMI but detaching the driver from the controller does.
In both cases, usual networking works fine.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun