Subject: Re: bnx2x + SFP+ DA/2.6.33.3: Got bad status 0x0 when reading from SFP+ EEPROM -> SFP+ module is not initialized

From: Krzysztof Olędzki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 18:43:57 +0200

On 2010-05-21 15:19, Krzysztof Olędzki wrote:
> On 2010-05-21 14:58, Eilon Greenstein wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 13:54 -0700, Krzysztof Olędzki wrote:
>>> On 2010-05-20 22:25, Rick Jones wrote:
>>>> Some simple/simplistic thoughts/questions...
>>>>
>>>> Has the DAC been used successfully prior to this?
>>>
>>> Yes. It was successfully used to connect two HP switches, before I
>>> received SFP+ SR modules, that allowed me to put the switches into
>>> distanced rooms.
>>
>> Krzysztof,
>>
>> I would like to check in what speed the I2C is running at, and while we
>> are there, to make sure it is at low speed (100KHz and not 400KHz). Can
>> you please add this patch and let me know what you see:
> 
> Sure.
> 
>>
>> diff --git a/drivers/net/bnx2x_link.c b/drivers/net/bnx2x_link.c
> 
> <CUT>
> 
> [bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
> [bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth5)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
> 
>> Since we are already off for the weekend, I couldn't find a machine with
>> this kind of board to test it for myself. On top of that, I don't have
>> this type of DAC cable, so I need your help in this debug process.
> 
> No problem. There is no need to ask for a help a person who depends on
> your support. ;) I would like to solve it as soon as possible so I'm
> willing to test everything you send me. ;)

Hello again,

To make sure the NICs are OK I made a test and plugged a SFP+ SR module (HP J9150A):

[bnx2x_8727_handle_mod_abs:4639(eth4)]MOD_ABS indication show module is present
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2835(eth4)]Got bad status 0x0 when reading from SFP+ EEPROM
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2835(eth4)]Got bad status 0x0 when reading from SFP+ EEPROM
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2835(eth4)]Got bad status 0x0 when reading from SFP+ EEPROM
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2835(eth4)]Got bad status 0x0 when reading from SFP+ EEPROM
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2835(eth4)]Got bad status 0x0 when reading from SFP+ EEPROM
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_wait_for_sfp_module_initialized:3138(eth4)]SFP+ module initialization took 25 ms
[bnx2x_sfp_module_detection:3197(eth4)]SFP+ module plugged in/out detected on port 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_get_edc_mode:2930(eth4)]Optic module detected
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_get_edc_mode:2954(eth4)]EDC mode is set to 0x44
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
[bnx2x_8727_read_sfp_module_eeprom:2774(eth4)]I2C 2W speed 0x0, bit 8 0
bnx2x: Warning: Unqualified SFP+ module detected on eth4, Port 0 from MergeOptics GmbH part number TRX10GVP2010CA01
[bnx2x_sfp_module_detection:3205(eth4)]Module verification failed!!

So, both NICs and SFP+ DA cables are OK. The only problem we have is to make them talk together. :|

Best regards,

			Krzysztof Olędzki