Subject: Re: [PATCH UPDATED 1/3] vhost: replace vhost_workqueue with per-vhost kthread

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:05:27 +0200

Hello,

On 07/26/2010 05:50 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> Hmmm... I'm not quite sure whether it's an optimization.  I thought
>> the patch was due to feeling uncomfortable about using barriers?
> 
> Oh yes. But getting rid of barriers is what motivated me originally.

Yeah, getting rid of barriers is always good.  :-)

> Is there a git tree with kthread_worker applied?
> I might do this just for fun ...

 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/wq.git for-next

For the original implementaiton, please take a look at commit
b56c0d8937e665a27d90517ee7a746d0aa05af46.

* Can you please keep the outer goto repeat loop?  I just don't like
  outermost for (;;).

* Placing try_to_freeze() could be a bit annoying.  It shouldn't be
  executed when there's a work to flush.

* I think A - B <= 0 test would be more familiar.  At least
  time_before/after() are implemented that way.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun