Subject: Re: nfs client hang

From: Andy Chittenden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:10:12 +0100

On 2010-07-28 18:37, Chuck Lever wrote:
> On 07/28/10 03:24 AM, Andy Chittenden wrote:
>> resending as it seems to have been corrupted on LKML!
>>
>>> The RPC client marks the socket closed. and the linger timeout is
>>> cancelled.  At this point, sk_shutdown should be set to zero, correct?
>>> I don't see an xs_error_report() call here, which would confirm that the
>>> socket took a trip through tcp_disconnect().
>>  From my reading of tcp_disconnect(), it calls sk->sk_error_report(sk)
>> unconditionally so as there's no xs_error_report(), that surely means
>> the exact opposite: tcp_disconnect() wasn't called. If it's not
>> called, sk_shutdown is not cleared. And my revised tracing confirmed
>> that it was set to SEND_SHUTDOWN.
> Sorry, that's what I meant above.
>
> An xs_error_report() debugging message at that point in the log would
> confirm that the socket took a trip through tcp_disconnect().  But I
> don't see such a message.
I don't see how tcp_disconnect() gets called if the application does a 
shutdown when the state is TCP_ESTABLISHED (or a myriad of other 
states). It just seems to send a FIN. Should tcp_disconnect() be called? 
If so, how? Alternatively, I wonder whether my patch that set 
sk_shutdown to 0 in tcp_connect_init() is the correct fix after all.

-- 
Andy, BlueArc Engineering

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-nfs" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html