Subject: Re: [PATCH repost] sched: export sched_set/getaffinity to modules

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:31:11 +0200

Hello,

On 07/30/2010 04:19 PM, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> But I must admit, I personally dislike this idea. A kernel thread which
> is the child of the user-space process, and in fact it is not the "real"
> kernel thread. I think this is against the common case. If you do not
> care the signals/reparenting, why can't you fork the user-space process
> which does all the work via ioctl's ? OK, I do not understand the problem
> domain, probably this can't work.

Having kernel threads which are children of user process is plain
scary considering the many things parent/children relationship implies
and various bugs and security vulnerabilities in the area.  I can't
pinpoint any problem but I think we really shouldn't be adding
something like this for this specific use case.  If we can get away
with exporting a few symbols, let's go that way.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun