Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] netns: keep vlan slaves on master netns move

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:49:15 +0200

Am 15.09.2010 04:10, schrieb Eric W. Biederman:
> 
> Reviewed-by: "Eric W. Biederman" <[email-masked]>
> 
> My inclination is that the best way to handle this is to would be to
> push the device deletion for vlan and macvlan devices into the device
> core, where we could get the advantage of batched deletions.

We've added batched deletion to both about a year ago, what exactly
is the problem?

>  Right
> now vlan and macvlan devices are the only devices I know of that cause
> other devices to be removed during unregister, so removing that
> specialness seems reasonable.

Actually all devices can cause this when used as a lower device by
vlan or macvlan. Both vlan and macvlan are useless without a lower
device, so I don't see why we shouldn't remove them when the lower
device is unregistered.

> However not being able to move the primary vlan to a different network
> namespace is usability bug with no real alternatives.  There are
> not any other patches on the table right now, and your patch below
> seems obviously correct.  Let's get this merged before we forget about
> this, bug fix.

Looks reasonable to me.

Acked-by: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>