Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] cxgb4: function namespace cleanup (v2)

From: Dimitris Michailidis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 23:16:45 -0700

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:11:42 -0700
> Dimitris Michailidis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>>> Make functions only used in one file local.
>>> Remove lots of dead code, relating to unsupported functions
>>> in mainline driver like RSS, IPv6, and TCP offload.
>> Thanks, this looks OK.  One exception, cxgb4_get_tcp_stats was intended to 
>> be used by the rdma driver.  I see that driver doesn't call it presently but 
>> if you don't mind can we give Steve a few hours to tell us if he has any 
>> imminent plans to use it.  If he doesn't offer to do something to use it for 
>> .37 it goes.
> 
> The kernel source tree is not your development place holder tree.
> At least #ifdef the code out for now.

I am trying to protect Stephen Rothwell's time by checking that the IB folks 
don't plan to add a call to this in their tree while we remove the function 
in net-next.  There's supposed to be a call in the IB driver.  I don't know 
why there isn't one or whether they are planning to fix it for .37.  I see 
the potential for a linux-next conflict and I am trying to avoid it.  #ifdef 
doesn't help, if it's not needed we can remove it for good.