Subject: Re: [PATCH] ipv4: synchronize bind() with RTM_NEWADDR notifications

From: Timo Teräs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:57:51 +0300

On 10/21/2010 02:34 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Timo Teräs <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:29:22 +0300
> 
>> This is the third time asking, what would be a good way to fix the
>> problem described in the original commit log?
> 
> I kept your report in my inbox backlog and intended to think about
> it as time permitted.
> 
> As the merge window has just openned up, for me time will not be
> "permitted" for some time.

Fair enough. Just getting multiple "does not work" without single
mention of "will think about this later" felt frustrating.

I have one more alternative: Would it be acceptable if we did
rtnl_lock()/rtnl_unlock() only if inet_addr_type() earlier said the
address is unacceptable for binding. And then retry inet_addr_type(). Or
do you think that the error case EADDRNOTAVAIL is a hot path too?