Subject: Re: Networking hangs when too many parallel requests are made at once

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:14:58 -0800

On 11/09/2010 01:17 PM, Luke Hutchison wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Ben Greear<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> And, a network capture of your system going into this state might
>> be useful.  I'd try to disable your wireless NIC entirely and focus
>> on debugging the wired NIC as that is usually easier to debug.
>
> Sure -- a wireshark trace is here: http://web.mit.edu/~luke_h/www/trace.bz2
>
> In this particular trace, I opened about 20 browser tabs at once.
> They all locked up after about 5 seconds.  A few of them loaded some
> more content after a minute or two.  A minute or two later, I killed
> them all.  In this particular example, pinging to a specific domain
> name continued to work (it doesn't always), although I couldn't get
> content from the domains in question: e.g. I could ping google.com,
> but opening a new tab and trying to visit google.com caused the new
> tab to hang too.

Have you tried using a different DNS server (open-dns?), or maybe a caching one one
your local machine?  Maybe some part of your network is throwing away
some of your DNS requests since you send so many at once?

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com