Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next-2.6] net: optimize INET input path further

From: Brian Haley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 13:00:21 -0500

On 12/01/2010 12:42 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> Putting IPv4 addresses in sock_common doesn't make it so common anymore :)
>>
>> Is it possible to make this a union so other address families like IPv6
>> can benefit from this as well, or will that blow the whole cache line
>> effect you were trying to achieve?
> 
> This might be OK, depending on cache line size and/or arch.
> 
> On x86_32 for example, that might even be a good thing, because refcnt
> might still be in the first 64bytes of socket.
> 
> By the way, ipv6 sock includes inet, so includes ipv4 addresses too, I
> only moved them in the 'whole structure'

Yes, all that IPv4 address baggage is still there in an IPv6 sock, even
if not used.  I haven't even looked close enough to see if it is possible
to move the IPv6 addresses since I think there are times when both are
in-use.

-Brian