Subject: STMMAC driver: NFS Problem on 2.6.37

From: deepaksi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:39:07 +0530

Hi

I am facing a problem related to nfs boot, while using the stmmac driver
ported on 2.6.37 kernel. When we use a JFFS2 file system and mount the kernel,
the network driver works fine.

I have been following the mailing list and could find some issues with NFS 
on 2.6.37 but I am not too sure whether the kernel crash I am getting is 
related to that.

The driver worked fine on 2.6.32 kernel, but while booting the 2.6.37
kernel I get the following log messages:

stmmac: Rx Checksum Offload Engine supported
        TX Checksum insertion supported
IP-Config: Complete:
     device=eth0, addr=192.168.1.10, mask=255.255.255.0, gw=255.255.255.255,
     host=192.168.1.10, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
     bootserver=192.168.1.1, rootserver=192.168.1.1, rootpath=
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown-block(2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
1f00              64 mtdblock0  (driver?)
1f01             256 mtdblock1  (driver?)
1f02            2816 mtdblock2  (driver?)
1f03            5056 mtdblock3  (driver?)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(2,0)
Backtrace:
[<c00370f0>] (dump_backtrace+0x0/0x110) from [<c0037234>]
(dump_stack+0x18/0x1c)
 r7:c7b5b000 r6:00000000 r5:c7b5b015 r4:c04296b8
[<c003721c>] (dump_stack+0x0/0x1c) from [<c004ebf8>] (panic+0x60/0x180)
[<c004eb98>] (panic+0x0/0x180) from [<c0009114>]
(mount_block_root+0x1d4/0x214)
 r3:00000000 r2:00000001 r1:c782bf50 r0:c0394851
[<c0008f40>] (mount_block_root+0x0/0x214) from [<c00091fc>]
(mount_root+0xa8/0xc8)
[<c0009154>] (mount_root+0x0/0xc8) from [<c0009388>]
(prepare_namespace+0x16c/0x1d0)
 r4:c04288c0
[<c000921c>] (prepare_namespace+0x0/0x1d0) from [<c0008904>]
(kernel_init+0x1cc/0x220)
 r5:c0402048 r4:c0428860
[<c0008738>] (kernel_init+0x0/0x220) from [<c00522a8>] (do_exit+0x0/0x5e0)
 r7:00000013 r6:c00522a8 r5:c0008738 r4:00000000
CPU0: stopping
Backtrace:
[<c00370f0>] (dump_backtrace+0x0/0x110) from [<c0037234>]
(dump_stack+0x18/0x1c)
 r7:c0405484 r6:00000406 r5:00000000 r4:00000000
[<c003721c>] (dump_stack+0x0/0x1c) from [<c002d334>] (do_IPI+0xb4/0x124)
[<c002d280>] (do_IPI+0x0/0x124) from [<c0032bb4>] (__irq_svc+0x34/0xc0)
Exception stack(0xc03f3f50 to 0xc03f3f98)
3f40:                                     c0402048 00000000 c03f3f98
00000000
3f60: c03f2000 c04288dc c0027290 c0405484 000258e8 411fc091 00000000
c03f3fa4
3f80: c03f3fa8 c03f3f98 c0034a24 c0034a28 60000013 ffffffff
 r5:fc800100 r4:ffffffff
[<c00349fc>] (default_idle+0x0/0x30) from [<c0034874>] (cpu_idle+0x80/0xc0)
[<c00347f4>] (cpu_idle+0x0/0xc0) from [<c030602c>] (rest_init+0x64/0x7c)
 r5:c04288dc r4:c04020b0
[<c0305fc8>] (rest_init+0x0/0x7c) from [<c0008bd4>]
(start_kernel+0x27c/0x2d8)
[<c0008958>] (start_kernel+0x0/0x2d8) from [<00008038>] (0x8038)
 r5:c0401fac r4:10c5387d

I have tried the same over latest source picked from linus tree,
4162cf64973df51fc885825bc9ca4d055891c49f
Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net-2.6

We are using version 3 of the NFs protocol in kernel's NFS client.

Regards
Deepak
ST Microelectronics

.

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-nfs" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html