Subject: Re: does intel X520-SR(ixgbe) support RSS on single VLAN?

From: Alexander Duyck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:09:28 -0800

On 1/24/2011 6:18 AM, Rui wrote:
> hi
> does intel X520-SR support RSS on single VLAN?
>
> tested with 3 different vlan id and priority packets
> What I saw is that all packets were always delivered to the same RxQ.
> looks can not get a different RSS index for these packet?
> any setting needed?
> --
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe netdev" in
> the body of a message to [email-masked]
> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

The X520 should have no problems hashing on a single VLAN tagged frame. 
  However the VLAN will not be a part of the RSS hash.  The  only 
components of the hash are the IPv4/IPv6 source and destination 
addresses, and if the flow is TCP then the port numbers.

I would recommend testing with something like the "netperf -t TCP_CRR" 
test which should open a number of ports and spread traffic out between 
multiple queues.

Thanks,

Alex