Subject: Re: Ethernet over GRE and vlans

From: Jonathan Thibault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:01:19 -0500

On 21/02/11 12:38 AM, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:16:06AM -0500, Jonathan Thibault wrote:
>> Is it wrong on my part to expect such behaviour from gretap devices
>> or is this simply not possible/implemented yet?
> I don't see why this shouldn't work, so it might be a bug or
> misconfiguration.  How did you setup gre1.1 and gre2.2?
>
> Cheers,
I simply ran:

vconfig add rcg0 1
ifconfig rcg0.1 up

(the gretap interface is called rcg0, obviously)

Now that I think of it I did not try to add the vlan using the 'ip link
add' command though I'm not entirely sure it would make much of a
difference.  We sort of bypassed the problem using more hardware so the
test rig is dismantled now but if you feel there really is something to
it, I can set it back up.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

P.S.:  Gretap flies...  The little atom 1.6 boards I tested this on gave
me 877Mbit/sec without breaking a sweat.