Subject: Re: [PATCH net-2.6] bonding: drop frames received with master's source MAC

From: Nicolas de Pesloüan<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 22:30:52 +0100

Le 01/03/2011 19:16, Andy Gospodarek a écrit :

[snip]

> Knowing that I'm using an unmanaged switch with balance-rr probably
> helps understand how this is happening.  I'll clarify this however, so
> we are all on the same page.
>
> In my situation, eth2 and eth3 are in bond0.  When bond0 transmits the
> NS, let's say it goes out eth3.  Since it is a multicast frame my switch
> will broadcast this to all ports and eth2 will receive the frame with
> the source MAC address being the same as bond0's MAC address.  This
> frame is passed up the stack to the ipv6 layer and appears to be a
> response to the NS from another host and is dropped.

'sounds perfectly normal.

This problem is described in detail in chapter 5.4.3 and appendix A of RFC4862 "IPv6 Stateless 
Address Autoconfiguration".

As this is clearly IPv6 related, it sounds normal from my point of view to fix it at the 
ndisc_recv_ns() level.

Quoting the RFC:

   "In those cases where the hardware cannot suppress loopbacks, however,
    one possible software heuristic to filter out unwanted loopbacks is
    to discard any received packet whose link-layer source address is the
    same as the receiving interface's.  There is even a link-layer
    specification that requires that any such packets be discarded
    [IEEE802.11].  Unfortunately, use of that criteria also results in
    the discarding of all packets sent by another node using the same
    link-layer address.  Duplicate Address Detection will fail on
    interfaces that filter received packets in this manner:

    [snip]

    Thus, to perform Duplicate Address Detection correctly in the case
    where two interfaces are using the same link-layer address, an
    implementation must have a good understanding of the interface's
    multicast loopback semantics, and the interface cannot discard
    received packets simply because the source link-layer address is the
    same as the interface's."

So, simply dropping frames whose source MAC == local MAC is apparently not the right solution.

	Nicolas.